STCW Refresher Personal Survival Techniques
One day STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST) Refresher / Updating training course module, which is instructed in compliance to STCW Code A - VI/1-1.
Seafarers who hold an existing STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST) certificate are required every five years to complete this updating training course to provide evidence having maintained proficiency under the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments (STCW Section A-VI/1 | table A-VI/1-1).
Due to local regulations by the Federal Maritime Authority of U.A.E. the STCW PST Refresher training consists of the full one day STCW PST module. Candidates will receive the STCW BST PST Certificate of Proficiency for the full module instead of a STCW BST PST Refresher COP.
You need the STCW Refresher PST course and certification:
- If you hold an expired or soon expiring STCW Basic Safety Training certificate.
- If you hold an expired or soon expiring STCW PST certificate.
- If you hold an expired or soon expiring STCW PST Updating / Refresher COP
This course consists of a 4 hours course in the classroom covering subjects such as:
- Emergency situations
- Survival craft and rescue boats
- Personal lifesaving appliances
- Survival at sea
- Emergency radio equipment
- Helicopter assistance.
The theory part is followed by a written exam.
The second part of the course (4 hours) is spent in the swimming pool performing the simulation of abandon ship procedures, a few learning objectives are listed below:
- Use of life jacket and immersion suit
- Jump from a height into the water
- Swim wearing a life jacket
- Board a life raft and right an inverted life raft
The practical exercises are subject to ongoing assessment by the instructor.
Transfers to and from the swimming pool are included in our course fees.
- Seafarers who have six months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and were exempt from basic safety courses;
- Seafarers who have a verified Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Personal Survival Techniques issued under the authority of other IMO member states will be acceptable
- Seafarers who have any expired STCW BST PST COP, even if not issued by an IMO member or if not verifiable.
- Candidates must be capable of rigorous exercise during the practical sessions in the water.
- Candidates must bring a towel, bathing suit or shorts & T-Shirts to the training, as well as a long-sleeved shirt and long pants to be used in the water.
- The practical sea survival training will be conducted in a swimming pool.
- Non-swimmers may participate but must complete all the practical exercises wearing a Lifejacket.
- Medical and health declaration required.
- Minimum Age is 16 years.
- All Candidates must be in good physical condition and capable of moderate exertion during the survival, swimming exercises.
- Please contact us for the current COVID-19 precautionary measures.
Bookings for single or two modules are always on waiting list base.
4 or 5 module bookings have preference.