STCW Refresher Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
One day STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FP&FF) Refresher / Updating training course module, which is instructed in compliance to STCW Code A - VI/1-2.
Seafarers who hold an existing STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting (FP&FF) certificate are required every five years to complete this updating training course to provide evidence having maintained proficiency under the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments (STCW Section A-VI/1 | table A-VI/1-2).
The course covers the practical competencies as set out in the STCW Code (as amended in 2010) regarding STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting and which currently includes:
- shipboard firefighting
- the donning and use of personal protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus
- the selection and use of appropriate hoses, nozzles and fire extinguishers
- extinguishing a flammable liquid fire using various types of fire suppression agents
- casualty rescue from smoke filled/blacked out accommodation
The module will be of not less than 7 hours duration during which candidates will be subject to continuous assessment by a qualified instructor.
- All Candidates must be in good physical condition and capable of moderate exertion during the firefighting simulation exercises.
- Seafarers who have six months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and were exempt from basic safety courses;
- Seafarers who have a verified Certificate of Proficiency in STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting issued under the authority of other IMO administrations will be acceptable
- Candidates must be capable of rigorous exercise during the practical sessions of fire-fighting, including exposure to very high temperatures and darkened enclosed spaces.
- Candidates must bring long-sleeved shirt and long pants to the training for wearing under fire-fighting equipment.
- Medical and health declaration required.