STCW Refresher Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting refresher / updating training (duration – one day).
The module is instructed in compliance with STCW Code A – VI/1-2.
It covers the practical competencies as set out in the STCW Code (as amended) regarding Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting and which currently includes:
- shipboard firefighting
- the donning and use of personal protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus
- the selection and use of appropriate hoses, nozzles and fire extinguishers
- extinguishing a flammable liquid fire using various types of fire suppression agents
- casualty rescue from smoke filled/blacked out accommodation
The module will be of not less than 7 hours duration during which candidates will be subject to continuous assessment by a qualified instructor.
- All Candidates must be in good physical condition and capable of moderate exertion during the firefighting simulation exercises.
- Seafarers who have six months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and were exempt from basic safety courses;
- Seafarers who have a verified Certificate of Proficiency in Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting issued under the authority of other IMO administrations will be acceptable