STCW Personal Survival Techniques
One day STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST) course module, which is instructed in compliance to STCW Code A - VI/1-1.
The course module is part of the mandatory STCW Basic Safety Training course, which also includes:
STCW Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
STCW Proficiency in Security Awareness (optional)
If you hold an expired STCW BST certificate, you must attend the STCW Refresher PST course.
This course consists of a 4 hours course in the classroom covering subjects such as:
- Emergency situations
- Survival craft and rescue boats
- Personal lifesaving appliances
- Survival at sea
- Emergency radio equipment
- Helicopter assistance.
The theory part is followed by a written exam.
The second part of the course approx. 4 hours is spent in the swimming pool performing the simulation of abandon ship procedures, a few learning objectives are listed below:
- Use of life jacket and immersion suit
- Jump from a height into the water
- Swim wearing a life jacket
- Board a life raft and right an inverted life raft
The practical exercises are subject to ongoing assessment by the instructor.
Transfers to and from the swimming pool are included in our course fees.
- Candidates must be capable of rigorous exercise during the practical sessions in the water.
- Candidates must bring a towel, bathing suit or shorts & T-Shirts to the training, as well as a long-sleeved shirt and long pants to be used in the water.
- The practical sea survival training will be conducted in a swimming pool.
- Non-swimmers may participate but must complete all the practical exercises wearing a Lifejacket.
- Medical and health declaration required.
- Minimum Age is 16 years.
- Please contact us for the current COVID-19 precautionary measures.