International Certificate of Competence

ICC - International Certificate for Pleasure Boat Operators

  • The ICC is a certified level of competency required when operating a pleasure craft in most European Coastal or Inland waterways.
  • IYT Worldwide has been approved by the British Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) to issue ICC's to qualified applicants on their behalf. 
  • Holders of the IYT Small Powerboat & RIB Master can apply for an ICC <10 meter
  • Holders of the IYT International Bareboat Skipper or higher IYT MOY qualifications can apply for an ICC <24 meter


Who is eligible to apply for an ICC?

In accordance with UNECE Resolution 40 (Revision 4), citizens and residents of countries, that are signatories to Resolution 40, will be obliged to obtain an ICC from their own national issuing authority and not from IYT (with the exception of the United Kingdom and Latvia). The only exception for IYT to issue ICCs to citizens of these countries, is if the applicant can provide proof of residency* in a country not on this list. The list of UNECE resolution 40 signatories is available upon request.

For example:

Austria is a country which signed the Resolution 40. For instance U.A.E., Spain and Greece did not sign the UNECE Resolution 40. 

An Austrian National living in U.A.E., Spain or Greece that can provide “proof of residency” in U.A.E., Spain or Greece, would be allowed to receive an ICC from IYT.

*Proof of residency (examples): 
                Emirates ID
                Utility bill 
                Property tax bill
                Telephone bill
                Insurance bill

**The government of Latvia has given written permission for IYT to issue ICCs to their own nationals and residents. 

*** IYT has been authorised to issue ICC’s to United Kingdom Nationals for the past 16 years which are issued on behalf of the British Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA).

The topic is very comprehensive and the list of UNECE Resolution 40 signatories is due to changes.

If you have any questions regarding the list of countries and / or your eligibility for an ICC, please

contact us


What is an ICC and where is it required?

As you may be aware, it is now mandatory to hold a recognised International Certificate of Competency (ICC) if you wish to charter a boat in certain European countries.

It is generally required for the coastal waters of most Mediterranean countries. It is strongly advised to check with the charter company or port authorities of any European country if an ICC is required before you travel.

The ICC is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Resolution 40. The ICC provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40.

See also "Who can issue an ICC".


How do I know that an ICC is official?

A number of training organisations are issuing “International Certificates of Competency” (ICC) and “International Proficiency Certificates,” which they claim are required for chartering in European waters.

Please note that only ICC’s that have approval from government bodies are the “official ICCs'” that comply with UNECE Resolution 40 and the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).

Printing a statement on a certificate or an ID card, that the training complies with UNECE Resolution 40 / International Certificate of Competence is not an official ICC. It is very likely that you will not be able to rent a bare boat or drive your own boat in European countries or any other UNECE resolution signatory country.

IYT has been authorized by the British MCA to issue UK ICC's. The logo of MCA is printed on the ICCs issued by IYT. 

If you have any doubts regarding that matter,  do not hesitate to

get in touch with us