IYT Master of Yachts Limited 200 Tons course
WHAT IS THE IYT MASTER OF YACHTS LIMITED 200 TONS COURSE?
- The Master of Yachts Limited 200 Tons course is aimed at the individual that either wants to expand his knowledge greatly or would like to work professionally on a yacht in any capacity.
- If you want to work in the marine industry as crew or captain this licence is essential.
- The IYT Master of Yachts Limited 200 Tons has become the most globally accepted course for the operation of commercial yachts up to 200 Tons.
- This course is not designed for beginners.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAMME CONSIST OF?
To receive your IYT Master of Yachts Limited 200 Tons qualification, you will need to complete the following courses:
- A six day comprehensive high level shore based course, including assessment papers and a final written exam. It is highly recommended to do 30 hours of study prior to joining the course due to the high standard of passing required.
- A five day practical which is conducted on the sea school yacht. Here you will live on board for the total duration of the course, learning all skills necessary to become a Master of Yachts. At the end of the 5 days on day# 6 the final exam will be conducted by an IYT Master of Yachts examiner and takes the form of an extensive oral and practical test on a yacht.
Each of these courses are stand-alone courses and do not to be taken at the same time. However, it is recommended that you take them as close to each other as possible in order to retain as much information as you can.
WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
- Candidates should have logged 50 days (24 hours) and 3000 miles at sea. This mileage must be logged on genuine cruises or passages but not short day trips. At least 2000 miles must have been completed on coastal voyages and not ocean crossings. The candidate MUST have spent considerable time engaged in actual vessel handling
- Candidates must have five varied passages with rhumb lines of over 60 miles, during two of which the candidate must have been undertaking the duties of captain or watch keeper.
- 50% (1500 miles) must be logged on vessels below 24 m (new requirements since August 2016)
- Pre-requisite sea time experience must have been obtained within the last 5 years.
- To include 6 passages of >60 NM during which the candidate has held a position of responsibility such as watch keeper. During at least two of these the candidate must have acted as the master or watch leader of the vessel.
- Thirty hours on watch at night underway as an active member of a yacht's crew. For at least six hours of this night experience, the candidate must have been acting as the vessel's captain / watch leader. “Night,” in this context, is defined as the time between sunset and sunrise.
- Evidence of sea time may be in a variety of formats but the document must clearly state the mileage (minimum 3000 NM), night watch keeping hours (at least 30) and the position of responsibility in which the candidate was functioning (at least watch leader). The nautical knowledge should correspond to IYT Master of Yachts Coastal or similar.
For a candidate who holds the IYT MOY Coastal/Mate 200 Tons certificate:
- 1500 miles required – may be on vessels over 24 m
- The MOY Coastal course must be taken on vessels below 24 m
- To include 3 passages of >60 NM during which the candidate has held a position of responsibility such as watch keeper. During at least two of these the candidate must have acted as the master or watch leader of the vessel.
WHAT DOCUMENTATION DO I NEED TO PROVIDE BEFORE SIGNING UP?
- Sea time verified, by original letters from owners or captains and a resume. (3,000 nm, 50 days, 30 hours night watch). Sea time logbook forms available in our office.
- STCW 2010 Basic Safety qualification including Proficiency in Maritime Security Awareness.
- VHF Radio Operator certificate.
- Copy of passport.
- 2 colour passport sized photos. Print candidates name on the back of both.
- A valid MCA medical examination (ENG1) signed and stamped by MCA doctor.
- IYT Master of Yachts Coastal or similar.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE COST?
The 6 days theory course costs AED 5.000 incl. course notes and assessment. IYT MOY certificate USD 100. IYT MOY Book AED 300 (fees for the book will be waived if theory and practical are booked together)
The 6 days practical course costs AED 17.500 including course notes. Plus examiner fees (TBC), IYT MOY certificate USD 275.
Further course material: divider and chart plotter, training sea chart, UK 5011. Food and beverages not incl., costs for shopping & cooking will be paid and organized by students as a part of the course.