IYT Master of Yachts Coastal course
WHAT IS THE IYT MASTER OF YACHTS COASTAL COURSE?
• The IYT Master of Yachts Coastal course is aimed at the individual that either wants to expand his knowledge greatly or would like to work professionally on a yacht.
• If you want to work in the marine industry as a captain on a vessel up to 80ft or crew on a vessel up to 200 tons this licence is essential.
• The IYT Master of Yachts Coastal is globally accepted.
• This course is not designed for beginners.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAMME CONSIST OF?
To receive your IYT Master of Yachts Coastal qualification, you will need to complete the following courses:
1. One and a half day shore based course, including assessment papers and a final written exam. It is highly recommended to study prior to joining the course.
2. A five and a half day day practical which is conducted on the sea school yacht. Here you will live on board for the total duration of the course, learning all skills necessary to become an IYT Master of Yachts. On the last day there will an outside examiner to examine each student.
WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
Candidates should have logged 30 days (24 hours) and 800 miles at sea. This mileage must be logged on genuine cruises or passages but not short day trips. At least 200 miles must have been completed on coastal voyages and not ocean crossings. The candidate MUST have spent considerable time in a position of responsibility, preferably engaged in actual vessel handling.
12 hours on watch at night underway as an active member of a yacht’s crew.
Evidence of sea time may be in a variety of formats but the document must clearly state the mileage (minimum 800 NM), night watch keeping hours (at least 12) and the position of responsibility in which the candidate was functioning (at least watch leader).
The nautical knowledge should correspond to at least the IYT International Bareboatskipper.
WHAT DOCUMENTATION DO I NEED TO PROVIDE BEFORE SIGNING UP?
1. Candidates should have logged 30 days (24 hours), night watch keeping hours (at least 12) and 800 miles at sea. Verification of yachting experience must be signed by the skipper of the yacht on which the candidate was sailing. Candidates claiming sea time during times when they were acting as captain may sign their own entries, but will need independent proof that can be verified by IYT.
2. STCW 2010 Basic Safety qualification including Proficiency in Maritime Security Awareness.
3. VHF Radio Operator certificate.
4. Copy of passport (visa page not required).
5. 2 colour passport sized photos. Print candidates name on the back of both.
6. A valid MCA medical examination signed and stamped by doctor.
7. IYT BBS or similar qualification would be a huge benefit.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE COST?
The one and a half days theory and five and a half days practical course costs AED 17.500 including course notes. Plus examiner fees, IYT MOY certificate.
Further course material: divider and chart plotter, training sea chart, UK 5011. Food and beverages not incl., costs for shopping & cooking will be paid and organized by students as a part of the course.
Picture Gallery IYT Master of Yachts Coastal course